Welcome to Ipswich Sports Club
The Hockey Club moved onto the site in 1952 and, spurred on by the enlarged membership, a new clubhouse was built. The first approach from the Squash Club came in 1957, although it took until 1972 for them to move to Henley Road from their site at Ipswich Airport. It was not until 1980 that the three sports finally became part of an integrated Ipswich Sports Club. The 1980s and ‘90s saw the provision of a glass-backed Squash court and floodlit and indoor Tennis.
Ipswich Tennis Club began life around 1870. After moving around for many years, the big step forward was the move to Henley Road in 1947. At the time when Tennis was being very successful nationally with the likes of Fred Perry performing on the international scene Ipswich Tennis Club played its part with the President’s wife, Jean Bostock being ranked number 1 in England.
In the 1890s, Hockey was largely a social pastime played by families with ground to spare. The Ipswich Town Hockey Club came into existence in 1899, playing alongside Ipswich Town Football Club at Portman Road. Eventually Portman Road became too expensive and having coped with constant relocations to Bourne End, Whitton, etc, the Club eventually moved to Henley Road in 1952.