The LTA have announced that 17 outstanding individuals and venues have been named as winners of the LTA Tennis Awards at the tennis governing body’s annual ceremony.
Taking place at The Championships, Wimbledon, the ceremony saw British tennis star Cameron Norrie named ‘LTA Men’s Player of the Year’ for his breakthrough year in 2018. The Awards also saw the likes of England Netball Head Coach Tracey Neville MBE, BBC presenter Kate Silverton and influencer Chessie King present accolades including ‘Community Venue of the Year’ and ‘Disability Award’ to 17 deserving winners.
Launched in 2015, the LTA Tennis Awards acknowledge the manythousands ofindividuals involved in the sport across the UK –from the 25,000 volunteers, to the 4,400 coaches and nearly 1,000officials. They also highlight the incredible achievements of some 20,000 schools, 2,700 clubs and over 9,700 LTA approved tournaments. The extraordinary contribution of the individuals and venues help to open the sport up, bringing new fans and players to the game.
Now in their fourth year, over 1,500 nominations were received for this year’s awards. National winners were crowned today as the culmination of a 10-month long process that started with nominations being made for County awards across the country, and with regional winners then recognised at the LTA’s major events earlier this year.Scott Lloyd, CEO of the LTA said: “Congratulations to all of the nominees and winners of this year’s LTA Tennis Awards. As thegoverning bodyfor tennis, we can’t achieve our vision of opening up the sport without their support, so I would like to extend my thanks to each and every one of them for all that they do”.
LTA Head of Men’s Tennis and award ceremony host Leon Smith added: “The LTA Tennis Awards are a real celebration of the people that work at all levels of our sport, including our inspirational coaches who are vital ingrowing the game and supporting those who play tennis across the country. It’s fantastic to hear all of their individual stories and I feel honoured to have hosted this year’s ceremony.”
LTA Tennis Award Winners
- Women’sPlayer -Katie Boulter
- Men’s Player -Cameron Norrie
- Girls’ Player -Emma Raducanu
- Boys’ Player -Jack Draper
- Performance Coach -Ryan Jones
- Official -Emily McGuiness
- Senior Men’s Player -Sebastian Jackson
- Senior Women’s Player -Frances MacLennan
- Competition -British Tour Penarth
- Education -Clapton Girls Academy
- Community Venue -A690
- Coach of the Year -Luke House
- Disability Award -East Anglia T&S
- Club of the Year -Ipswich Sports Club
- Cathie Sabin Volunteer -Marina Foxlee
- Young Person -Jonathon Dawes
- Lifetime Achievement -Simon Grainger